For me, there is no better or more refreshing treat at a barbecue gathering than nice, juicy watermelon. It brings back memories of running around the backyard, juice running down my face, having seed spitting contests with my sister and our cousins.
What does this have to do with grilling you ask? Well, I found a way to combine that yummy summertime treat with my passion for grilling. That combination is my recipe for Grilled Watermelon Pizza.
WAIT! Don’t close this window yet, hear me out…..
This is not pizza with watermelon on it, but pizza with watermelon in place of the crust. The delicious sweet char of the melon combined with the saltiness of the feta and cool flavor of the mint makes for a treat that will keep your guests coming back for more, so make sure you make enough.
It’s easy, quick and a sure-fire hit. Here’s how I do it:Print
- 1 Whole Watermelon (seedless is preferred)
- 4 Oz package crumbled Feta Cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Prepare your grill for direct grilling over medium high heat
- Cut your watermelon into discs and coat them lightly with olive oil
- Place your oiled watermelon disks directly on the hot grates until there are visible grill marks underneath
- Flip the watermelon over and top it with your crumbled feta cheese. Cover the grill and let it cook for a few more minutes. The cheese will soften but will not melt.
- Remove the watermelon pizza and sprinkle it with the chopped mint Slice your pizza into wedges just as you would cut a regular pizza pie
At this point, we like to drizzle it with a little bit of balsamic glaze for an extra burst of flavor. Let your imagination run wild!
So what do you think? Are you ready to try something fun and new? Send me a picture of your grilled watermelon pizza and I will share it on my social media sites. Have fun and grill on!
If you like Grilled Watermelon, you’re sure to love these other recipes!