As a born and bred Southerner, biscuits are my spirit animal. You know I like to find healthy alternatives while not sacrificing taste, and this recipe for Paleo Drop biscuits are a low-carb, guilt-free way to eat flaky, buttery biscuits.
For this recipe, I’ve substituted traditional flour for almond flour, and coconut milk can be used in place of cow’s milk. Trust me, you will have a tough time keeping your hands off these ham biscuits! Especially since they’re layered in Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce, they’re about as tasty and Southern as it gets.
There’s no bad time to serve up biscuits, but they make for an easy brunch or tailgating spread. It’s also an excellent way to use leftover ham from my Honey Ginger Smoked Ham recipe! When serving, set out the Carolina Mustard Sauce so people can help themselves, as well as local honey, bacon jam, or smoked pickles, so guests can try out your smoked goodies!
These biscuits will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week and are equally great for a quick breakfast with a drizzle of honey.
- 2 cups + 1 tbsp of almond flour
- ½ cup coconut milk or regular milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 16 thin slices of ham, 2 per biscuit
- 1 cup Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce (see recipe here)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together until uniformly mixed.
- Lay parchment paper down on a cookie sheet so your biscuits do not stick. Next, using a tablespoon, drop the batter onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes (times could vary by oven) or until the tops have begun to brown and the biscuits are golden.
- Let biscuits cool for a bit and then slice open and layer with ham and BBQ Sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Did you like this ham biscuit recipe? Try my other smoked appetizer recipes: