Making BBQ Sauce is essentially a (tasty) history lesson. In the early history of South Carolina, the influx of German immigrants in the area resulted in a mustard-based BBQ sauce that has been tweaked and added to over the generations.
This version has developed a depth of flavor by pairing expected ingredients like mustard, honey, and molasses with lemon juice and roasted garlic, creating a perfect and delicate complexity.
Low in sugar and high in versatility, this Roasted Garlic and Lemon Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce is more than worth the minimal effort it takes to whip it together.
Don't miss Robyn's Healthy Electric Smoker Cookbook!
Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Total Time: 15
This is a lower-sugar version of Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce and uses flavors like lemon juice and garlic to help brighten the sauce. This sauce can also be used as a base for smoked Brussels sprout coleslaw.
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- ½ clove roasted garlic (roast in the oven for 30 mins at 375; it can be kept in the refrigerator until ready to use)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 1/8 cup honey (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp. smoked sugar (or to taste)
- Dash of ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, let the flavors combine, and reduce in a saucepan over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Use a whisk to help break up the roasted garlic cloves, or pulse in a blender after the sauce is reduced.
- The last tablespoon of smoked sugar is optional — depending on how sweet you want the sauce. You can optionally add a bit more honey.
Pro tip: This sauce is great with smoked ham and ham biscuits, and it is equally at home on a pulled pork sandwich or even smoked salmon.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Serving Size: 16 (2 tbsp each)
From Better Than Sex Brisket and Low-carb “Char Siu” Pork Belly Burnt Ends to incredible pulled pork sammies, GrillGirl.com has everything you need to get your barbecue started. And don't miss Rick's Alabama White BBQ Sauce or his mouthwatering (Keto-friendly) sugar-free BBQ sauce.
You also can't go wrong with Robyn's perfect skinny margarita or a tasty summer concoction like a strawberry and honeydew mojito.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.