Living in South Florida for the past 10 years, I’ve been lucky to get exposed to all kinds of food from different countries and cultures, including one of my favorites—Colombian Style Hot Dogs!
A Colombian friend of mine made these for me once and I knew I needed to share these with you guys. They are (surprisingly) so good—a mix of sweet, salty and crunchy on a smoky char grilled hot dog that are perfect for anytime, but especially for baseball and tailgating! Hot dogs are always a favorite for tailgating, but I also love chicken wings, like these cilantro, garlic and lime wings, addicting jalapeño poppers and of course, grilled guacamole when tailgating!
I’ve partnered with my friends over at Kingsford Charcoal to share the perfect hot dog when tailgating at a Marlins baseball game, or in your own backyard watching your favorite team! Kingsford has created Taste of the Game, highlighting 30 iconic dishes inspired by Major League Baseball. You can even buy the cookbook with some of the creative, regionally inspired recipes, such as these Smoked Oysters with Miso Butter, inspired by the Seattle Mariners.
Miami, often referred to as the “capital of Latin America,” has a huge population of people from South America, and the Marlins themselves have a very diverse roster, with many players hailing from South America, with pitcher Tayron Guerrero and catcher Jorge Mario Alfaro hailing from Colombia.
And need I remind you, as you see all the Colombians wearing hats around here saying this: It's spelled COLOMBIA, not COLUMBIA!
I partnered with Kingsford on this post- recipe and thoughts are my own and I only work with brands I use and recommend!
Colombian Style Hot Dogs
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 hot dogs- 2 per person 1x
There are many variations of the Colombian Style hot dog, with some people putting a (cooked) Quail Egg on the top! This is how it was made for me by a Colombian friend!
- 8 hot dogs- I use use Nitrate Free Hot dogs
- 8 pack hot dog buns
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 1/4 cup Mustard
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Pineapple Preserves
- 2 cups Crushed Potato Chips (I like Ruffles chopped up bc they are extra crunchy)
- Grill hot dogs on Kingsford Charcoal until they are nice and charred on all sides.
- Spread the buns out and toast for a few minutes on the grill on the cooler side, being careful not to burn.
- Mix mayo, mustard and ketchup to make a “pink sauce.” I like to put this in a squeeze bottle to squeeze on top, but whatever works for you!
- Place the hot dog in the bun and add a tablespoon of pineapple preserves. Next, add pink sauce and then finish with crushed potato chips.
- This is an unexpectedly tasty combo of sweet, salty, smoky and crunch all in one bite!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Latin, American
- Method: Grill
- Serving Size: 2 Hot dogs
Keywords: Colombian Style Hot Dogs
If you love tailgating, be sure to check out some of my most popular tailgating recipes!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.