Coleslaw is the ultimate side dish for BBQ, burgers, hot-dogs, you name it. When I walk into a BBQ restaurant, I always order the slaw and judge accordingly.
In my humble opinion, bad slaw will kill my review of an otherwise good restaurant. I hate an overly saturated slaw where the cabbage is literally swimming in mayo.
The perfect slaw needs to achieve the right balance- creamy but not overly so. This recipe is great because it has a nice balance of citrus and mayo, which lightens it up and complements anything from BBQ to even fish tacos.
Thanks to my Mom and Dad for sharing this recipe for the BEST BBQ Coleslaw as they are truly coleslaw connoisseurs! I switched lemon juice for lime juice as LIME is my ultimate favorite ingredient!
This is my go-to coleslaw recipe that pairs perfectly with BBQ, seafood, just about anything. It uses lime juice or lemon juice and while it is a mayo base, it is not a very mayo-ish slaw. People ask for this recipe all the time, even people who claim to not like coleslaw! Yes, it is that good! Hence the name!
- 6 cups shredded cabbage ( you can use bagged cabbage to make it easier)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise ( I use Dukes mayonnaise light – 50 calories per tbsp )
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp of sugar ( I use splenda and I think it taste great )
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 cups chopped onions ( I use a white sweet onion or a vidalia when they are in season)
Combine all the ingredients. Cover and chill for two hours. Serves eight.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: none
- Category: Coleslaw, BBQ Sides, Seafood Sides
- Cuisine: American, BBQ
Keywords: Best Ever Coleslaw Recipe, Charleston Style Coleslaw, Light Coleslaw Recipe
If you love slaw, I’ve got you covered with great slaw recipes! Here are some of my favorites!