I’m a little obsessed with this slaw. You see, I’m always looking for the perfect side for grilled meats and this is my new favorite side for pork or just on it’s own. It’s highly addictive, good for you, and only calls for 4 ingredients! YESSS!
The next time you think of pork and applesauce, go for pork and this Apple Fennel Slaw. Or better yet, bring this to a potluck and people will think you are oh so clever!
On a side note, I’ve been reading this book “The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fu**” (it’s a parody of the book “The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up) and if you need some fun light reading that actually has a great message behind it (how to say no to things– I needed this book really badly), then I highly recommend this book. When you just learn to say no to things that don’t add value to your life, you get back so much more! And this can have so many implications, like letting go of your unrealistic expectations of others, etc. Check it out!Print
- 3 Apples- sliced thinly with a mandolin slicer on the thinnest setting. Trust me, you need to use the mandolin or a food processer with a thin slice setting- the thinness of the apples and fennel makes all the difference in this recipe!
- 2 Fennel bulbs, plus a few sprigs of the leaves
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1.5 tbsp sugar – to taste
- fresh groun black pepper – to taste
- sea salt- just a dash
- First, zest and juice the lemon and then add the sugar and combine. Next, thinly slice the apples with the mandolin on the thinnest slice and add to the lemon juice mixture. It is important to first do the lemon juice to put the apples into so the apples do not turn brown.
Next, on #2 or #3 thickness (medium to large) on the mandolin, slice your bulbs of fennel working up to the base of the stalk. Trim a tbsp worth of leaves into the mixture (this is more for looks).
Combine the apples, fennel, juice and salt and pepper in a large bowl and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. If you don’t let it sit it will still be good but 30 minutes in the lemon juice mixture really brings all the flavors together. Once you’ve tried this recipe, this could be your new “go to” slaw recipe! If you give this a try, let me know what you think and what you paired it with!
If you are looking for the perfect slaw recipe, I have got you covered! Check out some of my other favorite slaw recipes below! If you try any of these, don’t forget to leave me a comment or tag me on social @grillgirlrobyn on insta or on my facebook page!