Coleslaw is the ultimate side dish for BBQ, burgers, hot-dogs, you name it. When I walk into a BBQ restaurant, I always order the slaw and judge accordingly. In my humble opinion, bad slaw will kill my review of an otherwise good restaurant. I hate an overly saturated slaw where the cabbage is literally swimming in mayo. The perfect slaw needs to achieve the right balance- c
reamy but not overly so. This recipe is great because it has a nice balance of citrus and mayo, which lightens it up and complements anything from BBQ to even fish tacos.
Thanks to my Mom and Dad for sharing this recipe as they are truly coleslaw connoisseurs! I switched lemon juice for lime juice as LIME is my ultimate favorite ingredient!
- 6 cups shredded cabbage ( you can use bag cabbage if you are lazy)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise ( I use Dukes mayonnaise light – 50 calories per tbsp )
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp of sugar ( I use splenda and I think it taste great )
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 cups chopped onions ( I use a white sweet onion or a vidalia when they are in season)
Combine all the ingredients . Cover and chill for two hours. Serves eight.