If you are looking for a recipe for BBQ Chicken Pizza, then look no further because BBQ Chicken and Pizza are a match made in pizza heaven and we’ve got the recipe for you!
Want to know the easiest way to repurpose all that smoked meat you’ve been making on your grill or smoker? BBQ Chicken (or insert your favorite BBQ here) Pizza! Lord knows you already have BBQ sauce hanging around, the only other ingredients you need are some pizza dough and cheese. Now you have repurposed your leftovers in the most tasty way you can!
Move over sandwiches, this recipe for BBQ Chicken pizza is the new way to enjoy your BBQ the next day!
Another added flavor element to BBQ Chicken Pizza is caramelized or braised onions as a complementary pizza topping. I love making braised, caramelized onions that you can cook down in a bit of balsamic vinegar in a pan or even on your grill in a foil packet. And lastly, a touch of arugula adds a peppery green bite to your pizza. Another option is chopped green onions to brighten your pizza pie up!
Now, what is involved with making pizza on your grill? If you have a Green Mountain Grill Pellet Smoker, they have made it easy to make pizza with the pizza oven attachment. If you don’t have a Green Mountain Grill Pellet Smoker, then I have directions on how to make pizza on your grill here in my “How to grill pizza on any kind of grill” guide here.
Alternately, you can make this recipe for BBQ Chicken Pizza in the oven, but the beauty of doing this on a charcoal or pellet grill is getting that wood fired flavor. You can even get wood fired flavor on your gas grill by using a Smoker Tube.
If you have the Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven attachment, I have simplified the process on how to use the Pizza Oven attachment in this post. I’ve also created a video on how this works to demystify the whole process. If you are using the Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker for pizza then make sure to watch this video first!
And, before you check out this BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe, you may also want to check out my Margherita Pizza recipe for the Green Mountain Grill as well.
Now, without further ado, let’s make some pizza. Keep in mind that this recipe is just a guide on BBQ pizza. Use what BBQ protein you have on hand to make it your own!
If you love smoked meat, an awesome way to repurpose your leftovers are with BBQ (Chicken, Pork, Beef) pizza! This BBQ chicken pizza gives you the ingredients to transform BBQ flavors into something magical- pizza!
- Pizza dough, enough for one large pizza or 4 small personal pizzas. (If you need a great pizza dough recipe, here is a winning dough recipe, or you can also check out Urban Slicer dough kits, made especially for the grill!)
- Corn meal (this is necessary so the dough will slide off the pizza peel or cutting board)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 to 2 cups chopped BBQ chicken (already cooked) or leftover BBQ such as pork, brisket etc.
- 1/2 cup balsamic braised onions (this is done by thinly slicing a red onion and cooking it down in 2 tbsp. of balsamic. This part is optional but a nice addition)
- Sprig of arugula OR chopped green onions (optional)
- Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface, spreading it evenly in a circle for the pizzas. This recipe will make approximately 2 large pizzas or 4 smaller pizzas.
- Sprinkle your cutting board or pizza peel with flour, then dust it with corn meal.
- Place the dough on the cutting board/pizza peel and layer with sauce. Get your dough thinly spread out so it cooks evenly in the smoker. I find thinner crust works best for cooking evenly so you don’t get doughy parts.
- Add cheese.
- Follow the instructions for the Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven insert and place it into Pizza Oven mode via the app. Set the temperature to 225; once it has reached temp, slide the pizza into the pizza oven attachment.
- Let the pizza cook 4-8 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the pizza has begun to brown. You will need to turn the pizza once during the process to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Garnish with fresh arugula or chopped green onions at the end before serving.
This recipe was developed in partnership with Green Mountain Grills. I only work with companies I personally use and endorse.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-8 minutes
- Category: Grilled BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Pizza, Grilled Pizza Recipe
Keywords: BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe, Grilled Pizza Recipe, Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza, How to Grill Pizza, Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven Recipes, Green Mountain Grills BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe
Want more pizza on the grill? Check out these recipes!