Is there anything cauliflower can’t do? Cauliflower makes a good stand-in for rice and potatoes. It can be made into pizza crust or tots. Oh, and cauliflower is pretty good as a veggie — be it raw, roasted, or steamed. Cauliflower can also be made into a steak.
Don’t get me wrong, cauliflower steaks taste nothing like actual meat steaks, but it is a fun way to cook and present this versatile veggie.
Many ways to cook cauliflower steaks
I prepared my cauliflower steaks on my Green Mountain Grills pellet smoker, which gives them a nice wood smoke flavor. The veggie steaks can also be grilled or prepared in the oven using the same method.
A pellet smoker doesn’t give grill marks on the cauliflower steaks the same way a direct heat grilling method does, but I found smoking it on a sheet-pan gave it the most pleasing color. The full contact with the sheet-pan allowed the cauliflower to get some nice browning on the edges the same way it would being roasted in an oven.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!Print
I find the mild flavor of these cauliflower steaks are perfect with a fresh, punchy sauce. Make sure to also try making my mint chimichurri sauce recipe, which is a tasty combination of mint, orange and pistachio in a garlicky base.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup roughly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat your pellet smoker, grill or oven to 400° F.
- In a small food processor combine all herb sauce ingredients; pulse until well mixed. Set aside.
- Remove green leaves from the base of the cauliflower. Cut the head in half. Cut each half into 2 “steaks” about 1-inch thick. Rub with avocado oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cauliflower steaks on grill. For best browning on a pellet smoker or to prepare in the oven place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cook 15 minutes, flip the steaks, continue cooking 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Serve steaks topped with herb sauce and sprinkled with pistachios.
Cutting a cauliflower into steaks does leave behind some florets from the edges. Either grill these stray pieces alongside your steaks, or use them for one of the other many other tasty cauliflower recipes on GrillGirl.com.
- Category: Vegetable
Keywords: vegetable, cauliflower, vegetarian dinner, chimichurri sauce
COOK AND SHARE!
Let us know how you liked this cauliflower steak recipe in the comments!
What would you like to see us cook next on GrillGirl.com?