This burger is the brainchild of my husband who spent a few years living in New Mexico after graduating from the University of Montana. It was Scott’s night to cook a few weeks ago and he did not disappoint with these super stacked and stuffed burgers. If you google the word “torta”, there are a myriad of meanings but the common denominator for the word torta is “large overstuffed stuffed Mexican sandwich”. That is exactly what this burger is- large and stuffed with all kinds of goodies like avocado, bacon wrapped peppers stuffed with cream cheese, grilled tomatoes, and fresh cilantro all wrapped in a tortilla.
Every good burger starts with high quality meat, which is why I get my beef from Snake River Farms who offer tasty sirloin burgers (and prime beef too) that make for kick ass burgers every time! Layered with bacon-wrapped peppers and fresh veggies, you cannot go wrong with this Mexican inspired all American Sandwich!Print
- 2 burger patties, OR 12 oz ground sirloin made into patties
- 1 –2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced (I used yellow heirloom tomatoes for a nice color pop)-
- 4 small/medium cubanelle peppers
- 4 strips bacon (I used turkey bacon)
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese (I used low fat cream cheese- you cannot tell the difference when mixed in with all the other ingredients)
- 2–3 large tortillas (good to have an extra in case one breaks, etc)
- large bunch cilantro, leaves removed
- toothpicks- for securing the bacon around the peppers
Preheat grill to medium direct heat, about 350 degrees. Meanwhile, remove the stems from the cubanelle peppers and stuff them with cream cheese. Wrap them with bacon, using the bacon to close the open end of the pepper so the cream cheese cannot run out, and secure with a toothpick.
Grill the burgers, bacon wrapped peppers and tomatoes on direct heat until char marks form on both sides (and for the peppers- the bacon is cooked through). For the burgers, you will flip them when beads of sweat appear on the top side. Burgers are ready to be pulled off when they reach an internal temp of 135 degrees.
Once the burgers are cooked, tent them in foil a few minutes to reabsorb their juices. Then, place them on the tortillas, and add the grilled tomatoes, sliced avocado, bacon wrapped grilled peppers and cilantro. Then, wrap the tortillas over the burger to form a pouch for the burger.
Enjoy burger ecstacy!!
Check out these related posts!