Don’t ruin your cookout with store-bought potato salad! While homemade potato salad can be a lot of work, this Grilled Red Pepper Potato Salad recipe will redeem the work put into it as it’s literally bursting with flavor and isn’t as high in calories as a traditional mayo based version.
The grilled peppers and basil in this recipe add a great visual pop to this dish that will play a starring role next to your burgers this weekend. This recipe will make you look like a rockstar and you don’t have to feel guilty about eating it!
- 5 lb bag red potatoes, rinsed
- 12 mini sweet red/orange/yellow peppers (3 larger bell peppers can be substituted if you can’t find mini sweet peppers)
- 1 bunch scallions
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup lightly packed parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly packed basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves Garlic
- Boil potatoes until they are tender enough to be pierced with a fork (about 20-30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, preheat your grill to medium hight heat (350-400 degrees). Drain the potatoes and slice them in 1/4” pieces. Lightly coat them in olive oil.
- Grill the potatoes, peppers and scallions until nice charmarks form. There will be a lot of potatoes to grill so I suggest doing them in batches. I did the veggies first and then did the potatoes.
- Next, combine all the dressing ingredients with an immersion blender or food processor.
- Chop the potatoes into smaller pieces and put in a large bowl. Discard the stems and slice the peppers and scallions and put into the bowl.
- Add the dressing to the potato/veggie mixture and stir until uniformly mixed. Add the chopped basil and generous sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Can also be served warm after it has been made.
*Affiliate links have been used in this post. If you purchase anything on the links, the site may make a small commission to help keep delivering great content to you!*
If you liked this Grilled Red Pepper Potato Salad, try out these similar recipes!