I hereby declare Florida Orange Chicken Wings the unofficial chicken wing recipe for the state of Florida! But I guarantee that even if you don’t live in Florida, you will LOVE this recipe!
If you are looking for the BEST sauce for Chicken Wings you have ever had, well then you have come to the right place because everyone who has tried this recipe so far tells me this is their NEW favorite Chicken wing recipe because the flavors of Florida Orange Wings are so delicious!
So, what exactly are Florida Orange Chicken Wings?
Take everything you love about a classic Buffalo style chicken wing, which starts with a Buffalo sauce made of butter and Frank’s Red Hot sauce, and then combine it with the quintessential taste of Florida: oranges, honey and a hint of lime! The slightly spicy, sweet salty combo will knock your socks off!
This sauce is accomplished by using my Sunshine State of Mind Craft BBQ Rub because it already has orange peel zest and granulated honey (as well as kaffir lime, Himalayan salt, smoked paprika, and lime zest) and pair it with your classic Buffalo sauce.
You end up with a sticky sweet honey orange infused Buffalo sauce that is so addictive you may want to drizzle it on everything, not just chicken wings!
How to Get Crispy Chicken Wings on a Pellet Smoker
These days many people are often using pellet smokers as their go-to grill, and pellet smokers often leave me yearning for char marks and crispy chicken skin. To ensure you get super crispy wings on any kind of grill or smoker, I like to first coat my chicken wings in baking powder. That’s right, baking powder, which is usually reserved for baking, not grilling! It makes a huge difference, and even if you are making these in the oven and not the grill, you definitely want to first start with baking powder.
The Best Sauce for Chicken Wings Start with The Best Ingredients!
This recipe starts with a dusting of Sunshine State of Mind Craft BBQ Rub and finishes with tossing these wings in this Florida orange Buffalo sauce. That means in order to make this recipe you need to first buy yourself a bottle of Sunshine State of Mind Craft BBQ Rub. Use code WINGS for $1 off your first bottle! This rub is ADDICTIVELY good and you will want to put it on all the things! Plus, it doubles as a margarita rimmer! So, make yourself a cocktail and then head out to the grill to make these wings because they are a game changer!
Ingredients Needed to Make this Recipe
- chicken wings
- baking powder
- Franks Red Hot Sauce
- Sunshine State of Mind Craft BBQ Rub
Lastly, here is my Sunshine State of Mind Margarita Recipe. Give this a try; you can use my rub on your chicken wings and in this margarita recipe because who doesn’t love a margarita when they are grilling? Hint, the rub goes well as a rimmer for beer too! If you give this recipe a try, don’t forget to follow and tag me on Instagram so I can see your delicious creations!Print
The sticky sweet orange honey infused buffalo sauce will make this your new favorite wing recipe!
- Coat chicken wings in baking powder. Then, sprinkle on Sunshine State of Mind Craft BBQ Rub.
- Start your grill. If using a pellet grill, roast at 350 degrees until wings have reached 165 degrees internal temp as measured by a Thermapen, and then crank the pellet grill up to 450 degrees to get crispy edges on your wings.
- If using a standard gas or charcoal grill, grill on direct at 400 until you’ve reached an internal temp of 165 and then remove from the grill.
- While the grill heats up, combine your sauce ingredients. Melt butter and Franks Red Hot Sauce on low heat and add the Sunshine State of Mind and combine with a whisk.
- Pour the sauce over wings and serve with any remaining sauce for dipping wing into. Enjoy!