If you like a good extra cheesy burger, then you will love Juicy Lucy burgers!
In this iconic recipe, the cheese is stuffed inside the beef patty to offer a luscious, extra cheesy bite with every bite. And the origin story of this burger is just as fun.
Two different bars in Minneapolis actually claim to be the creators of the Juicy Lucy burger, the 5-8 Club and Matt’s Bar. Since the ’50s, there’s been a decades-long, friendly rivalry over who can claim rights to the recipe. I guess the only way to find out is to book a trip to Minnesota and see which one has the better Juicy Lucy!
In this recipe for Juicy Lucy, I show you how to make it cooked over in cast iron or on the flate side of GRILLGRATES. This keeps them extra juicy by letting the patties sizzle in their own juices on the grill while getting infused with Kingsford smoke flavor. Another layer of cheese is added to the top of the burger so you get double cheese in every bite! You can also cook these burgers directly on the grates if you choose.
The finishing touch to these Juicy Lucy burgers is a “special sauce” and lots of pickles to add a crunchy contrast to that extra cheesy juicy bite of burger! When I made this batch of Juicy Lucy burgers, I also added some griddled onions for some extra flavor.
Note, I used American Cheese in this recipe for its superior melting capability. Yes, I know it is thought of as “kid cheese” but it offers the best melt inside that patty, you have to trust me on this!
PRO TIP: If love to cook on your grill and want that “griddle experience” – check out grillgrates. I use grill grates to get epic char marks on my steaks and protein, but if you flip them over they have a flat cooking surface for cooking on, turning them into a griddle. That’s what I used here.
If you love burgers, and WHO DOESN’T, then you’ll want to check out some of my other popular burger recipes such as my Smash Burger, My Bacon Jam Burger and my Hangover Burger Recipe! I can keep inspired with burger recipes for days!!! If you do try one of my burger recipes don’t forget to leave a comment or tag me on instagram @grillgirlrobyn !!
The Juicy Lucy burger is a cheese burger lovers dream because there is cheese stuffed inside the patty which makes for a luscious cheese bite. Add cheese on the top to make it even cheesier. Pair with pickles, secret sauce and griddle onions to take it over the top!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large pack of sliced American Cheese
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. pickle relish (sweet or dill is okay)
- Dash hot sauce
- Dash onion powder
- Dash smoked paprika
- Combine the ground beef, garlic powder, butter, salt, smoked paprika, and Worcestershire sauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Divide the ground beef into 16 meatballs, which will form one small patty each. From each meatball, flatten each meatball to form 8 patties, making an indentation in the middle to place the cheese. Continue with the next 8 meatballs to make a flat patty, which will go on top of the first 8 patties.
- Take each slice of American cheese and fold it in half two times, creating a stack of small cheese squares. Place this stacked piece of cheese in the middle of the burger—this is the bite of cheese that goes in the middle. Repeat for all 8 burgers with a piece of cheese.
- Take the remaining 8 patties and place them on top of the patties with cheese and seal them around the edges, combining the two patties on the outside to make one burger.
- Combine the sauce ingredients and place in the refrigerator until ready to put on the burgers.
- Prepare a grill for medium direct heat, about 350 degrees. If using a griddle or a cast iron skillet, place the skillet on the grill.
- Place the patties on the skillet or grill and let them cook until they have started to brown on one side (on the cast iron they will form a crust). Flip the patties over and then add another slice of cheese.
- Remove from heat and tent under foil to stay warm. Serve on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, pickles and LOTS of secret sauce.
- Serve immediately to experience the beauty of the melting cheese inside the patty, making for an epic cheesy bite with cheese literally oozing out of your burger.
This recipe was originally developed for Kingsford Charcoal. There are also affiliate links in this post. I only work with brands I use and endorse!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Want more grilled beef recipes? Check out these posts!