Summer has officially arrived, meaning grilling season is here and lots of hosting BBQs and get togethers! But after a night of partying, you may not feel so hot. Ew, the dreaded hangover.
Enter my tried-and-true Hangover Burger, a heaping meal of fried egg, pickles, bacon and cheese over a burger patty and sandwiched between an everything bagel.
Hell, even if you’re not hungover, this burger is tasty all the time! It’s also a great option for brunch-esque cookouts. Pairing grilled jalapenos, bacon, a perfectly fried egg, Muenster cheese and secret sauce, it’s a subtly spicy, bacon-y kick in the pants that’s perfectly acceptable to eat before noon (you heard it here first).
If you need an extra boost for your hangover, then go with the hair of the dog method and make yourself my award-winning Bloody Mary recipe. I placed third out of 45 contestants, so it’s pretty good, if I say myself!
Trust me, between this burger and my Bloody Mary recipe, that hangover will be gone and you’ll be back on track for the day in no time!
For the Burgers
- 2 lbs ground chuck roast (80% lean, 20% fat)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 package of nitrate-free bacon (12-16-oz)
- 8 medium-sized jalapenos
- 8 large eggs
- 8 slices thick-cut Muenster cheese
- Plus, a cast iron skillet OR grill grates flipped to the griddle side
- ½ stick butter- for frying the eggs
For the Secret Sauce
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. pickle relish (either sweet or dill is okay)
- 1 dash onion powder
- 1 dash smoked paprika
- Combine the sauce ingredients and place in the refrigerator to chill until you’re ready to assemble your burgers.
- Combine the beef, butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce in a mixing bowl. Form the beef mixture into 8 patties.
- Using your index and middle finger, place an indentation in the burgers in the middle. This will allow them to cook evenly on the grill and not turn into round balls.
- Preheat a grill to 400 degrees over direct heat and grill the burgers until desired doneness. Flip halfway through and add the cheese.
- While the burgers are grilling, grill the whole jalapeños until they are cooked through and char marks have formed.
- While the burgers are grilling, place your cast iron skillet add let it heat up for a few minutes.( If you don’t have enough room on your grill cook both the burgers and eggs at the same time, do this part after you have finished the burgers.)
- Add butter to your cast iron skillet or grill grates. Crack the eggs and cook them until the whites are cooked through but the yolks are still runny, no more than 2 ½ minutes. Remove the eggs and place on a plate until ready to assemble burgers.
- Remove the burgers and tent them under foil to stay warm.
- To assemble your burgers, place each patty on a bottom bun. Top with egg, 2 strips of bacon and a grilled jalapeno. Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of secret sauce on your top bun and close your sandwich. Enjoy! After your first bite of burger you’ll feel better already!
Hot Tip: For an extra kick in the buns, I recommend everything bagels, Ciabatta buns, brioche buns or onion rolls for this burger.
Want more burger recipes? Check out these related posts!