As part of my “Girls Who Grill” series, I am excited to feature my Canadian Grill Sisters Maddie and Kiki. They continue to spread BBQ Positivity in everything they do and represent everything that is great about the grilling and BBQ community!
Hailing from the Great White North, Canadian sisters Maddie and Kiki Longo have turned up the heat — making a name for themselves as a “Canada’s favorite female grill masters.” With a weekly show on YouTube, television appearances, #BBQActsofKindness, their very own house blend, and being named 2020’s Top 10 BBQ Experts in North America I knew we had to include them in my Girls Who Grill series!
These girls love to make everything and on all types of grills — you can check out my chat with them here where they dish on how they got into BBQing and what’s on their BBQ bucket list (spoiler alert: it’s mine, too!)
When I asked them to share their signature recipe, they were scratching their heads — it was so hard to pick just one! So they went with their Applewood Smoked French Onion Soup, a recipe from their winter tour that was a real hit. While I may be in tropical Florida, we definitely have some cooler days in the winter where I’ll be itching to try this bourbon-infused recipe.
Don’t forget to check out Maddie and Kiki’s various channels linked above so you can keep up with all their BBQ adventures. And if you love smoked soups, then be sure to check out my smoked gazpacho, smoked watermelon gazpacho, or Smoked Bacon, Pork and Guinness Cassoulet.
This is one of the most comforting soups there are! Smoking the onions in this recipe makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE! It takes the classic familiar flavour of French onion soup and elevates it to a super elegant and fancy appetizer or main side dish. Perfect for an intimate gathering at home this holiday season, our smoked French onion soup is the perfect cup of warmth to provide comfort.
- 12 jumbo yellow onions, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Bourbon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp dark maple syrup
- 4 thick slices fresh baguette, toasted
- ½ cup smoked white cheddar cheese
- In a cast iron skillet, combine onions, with butter and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place over indirect heat in a preheated 350-degree charcoal grill. Place your favourite wood underneath the lit charcoal for extra smoke flavour (we love using a fruit wood like apple or peach!)
- Allow the onions to caramelize, stirring occasionally, until reduced and nicely browned – about an hour.
- Deglaze the pan with the bourbon.
- Add the fresh rosemary, and beef broth, and bring to a low simmer.
- Ladle into French onion soup bowls, top with baguette and cheese, and return to the grill. Once the cheese is melted, the soup is ready!
- Top with freshly cracked black pepper.
- Category: Soups