Burnt Ends are a delicacy in BBQ, a result of smoke and fat rendering for the creation of bark and a succulent bite of beef. This version makes burnt ends with pork belly. Serve these at your next gathering and you’ll be instantly famous for introducing friends to these epic BBQ morsels.
Pork Belly Burnt Ends
- Total Time: 5 hours 30 minutes
Serving Size: 5 burnt ends
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Smoking Wood: Cherry or Apple
Smoker Temp: 250
- Large aluminum foil pan
- 5 lbs pork belly, cubed into 1 ½” pieces (I used Snake River Farms Kurobuta Pork Belly)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup All Purpose BBQ Rub (Jon Solberg's rub is fantastic!)
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce (Try this Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce recipe or just pick up some Stubb's!)
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 2 tbsp molasses
- Dash hot sauce
- 3 tbsp butter
- Slice the pork belly into 1 ½” pieces. Place in a large bowl and toss in olive oil, then add rub and make sure all pieces are covered in it.
- Smoke the pork belly pieces at 250 for 2 hours or until all the fat has rendered off and a crust is beginning to form.
- Place the pork belly burnt ends in the foil pan. Combine the bbq sauce, bourbon, molasses, and hot sauce and pour over the burnt ends.
- Smoke for another 2 hours covered in foil.
- After 2 hours, remove the foil and let cook uncovered for another 30 minutes to thicken up the sauce.
Burnt ends are great served as an appetizer; put in a nice bowl and put out toothpicks. They can also be purposed as a full meal by serving on sandwich buns with additional sauce.
There are rarely burnt end leftovers, but if there are put them on a flatbread pizza or as a garnish on a toothpick for bloody marys.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 5 hours
**Affiliate links have been used in this post, which means I could make a small commission if any products are purchased. I only recommend products that I personally use and endorse.
Did you enjoy these pork belly burnt ends? Check out these other delicious ideas!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.