My husband does not like birthday cake, he likes birthday pie. Any fruit pie will do. Scott's birthday is on July 5th, when there's always an abundance of fresh blueberries in season, so for his birthday this year, I made him a Blueberry Lemon Ginger Pie.
My favorite flavor pairing is lemon and blueberry. The tartness of the lemon complements the blueberries for a pucker-your-lips tartness that perks up your taste buds, and softens with the addition of vanilla ice cream.
I added ginger on a whim and it took the pie up a notch of awesomeness. So now you have a blueberry-lemon-ginger flavor combo that makes for a truly unique and sensational pie!
Blueberry Lemon Ginger Pie
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 2 pints (4 cups) rinsed blueberries
- the juice and zest of 4 lemons
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tblsp honey
- 1 tblsp ginger
- 2–3 tblsp cornstarch
- Simmer the blueberries, lemon juice, zest, sugar, honey and ginger over medium heat for 30-45 minutes or until the mixture has gone from a liquid to thick consistency. Add each tablespoon of cornstarch to the liquid over time, careful to make sure there are no lumps. The lemons make the mixture very liquid, so the mixture must cook down over time.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 360 degrees. Roll out the pie shell and form into a pie pan. Once the mixture has thickened to a jam-like consistency, pour into the bottom of the pan. Place the other pie crust on the top, sealing the edges, and cut slips in the top so steam can escape.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cover the edges with foil if they are browning more quickly than the rest of the pie.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
- I've been enjoying this pie for breakfast and don't feel guilty about it and neither will you!
If you thought this Blueberry Lemon Ginger Pie recipe was delicious, check out these other yummy desserts!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Happy Birthday, Scott!