Perfectly grilled filet mignon is easier than you think when following a few easy steps!
- 2 filet mignon steaks
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Kitchen twine
- Thermapen or your preferred meat thermometer
- Use the twine to tie each filet around the sides in two spots to keep its shape. Season the filets liberally with kosher salt and pepper and allow to sit out on the counter while preparing the grill. This will allow the moisture in the meat to seep out, grab the seasonings and pull the flavors back down into the meat.
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking at 250°.
- Once the temperature is stabilized, place the filets in the center of the grates and close the lid. Cook until they reach 125° internal temperature, as measured by an internal read thermometer like the Thermapen.
- Remove the filets and allow to rest while preparing for the next step, switching over to direct grilling.
- Allow the grill to build a nice and hot fire, about 5 to 10 minutes. For this step of the process, the hotter the better. We want those grates to have time to heat up!
- Place the steaks on the grates over the fire. Sear each steak for 1 to 1 ½ minutes. Once you have done that, flip each steak and repeat for the opposite side. You don’t want to leave them on for too long, just enough time to build a char and form a crust.
- Remove the steaks and serve. They should be pink from “coast to coast!”
Affiliate links have been used.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Filet Mignon, Grilled Filet Mignon, Filet Mignon how to grill
- Method: GRILL
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Filet Mignon How to Grill