http://shrsl.com/3b7klThis recipe by Taylor Carroll will set you up for success to make Prime on a Traeger, Pellet Smoker or any kind of grill.
- 1, 3-bone Prime Rib roast
- ¼ cup horseradish
- 2 tbsp. mayonaisse
- 1 tbsp. flakey salt
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. Sunshine State of Mind rub
- ½ tbsp. ground sage
- ½ tbsp. mixed ground peppercorns
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup horseradish
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1½ tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. chives, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. coarse ground pepper
- Optional: 1 tbsp. dill, finely chopped
- Be sure your smoker is clean; this means taking out the drip tray to remove the fire pot cover and clean out any ash remaining in the pot. This is important to ensure you don’t have any overflow that could result in a flare up.
- Fill the hopper all the way with pellets and ignite the smoker to heat to 235F. At this temperature, it will take about 30-35 minutes per pound to reach medium rare and be ready to sear.
- In a small bowl, mix the horseradish, mayo, flaky salt, kosher salt, Sunshine State of Mind rub, ground sage and peppercorns.
- Pat the prime rib dry with a cloth or paper towels, then cover it in the horseradish mix.
- Place the prime rib on the grill, putting the temperature probe in the thickest part of the meat, and set the temperature alarm to 115F for medium rare results or 120F for medium.
- Once the roast has come to temperature, remove it from the grill and allow it to rest.
- While the meat takes a nap, refill the pellet hopper and crank the heat up to 475 F.
- Once the meat temperature has dropped at least 10 degrees, return to meat to the hot grill and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side, depending on preferred done temperature.
- For the dipping sauce, whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl, if you would like to thin it out, just add 1 tbsp. of whole milk at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
Notes: Affiliate links have been used
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: approximately 3.5-4 hours
- Category: Prime Rib, Smoked Prime Rib
- Method: Smoke/Grill
- Cuisine: American, Holiday Dinner
Keywords: Prime Rib on Traeger, Prime Rib on Pellet Smoker, Prime Rib on Smoker, Prime Rib in Smoker, Prime Rib Traeger, Prime Rib How To Cook