These smoked sweet potatoes can replace that old school sweet potato casserole because it will hit all those dessert notes with added benefit of smoke flavor from the grill!
- 4 sweet potatoes (try and select ones of similar size)
- 1/4 cup melted butter*
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- Cast iron skillet, Dutch oven, or heat safe baking dish
*You may use olive oil, or melted coconut oil if you prefer. Or, use melted fat such as beef tallow for a savory contrast to this sweet dish and really make it pop!
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. bourbon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ lb. halved pecans
- 2 egg whites
- 1.5 tbsp. water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- Optional: 1 tsp. cayenne
- Wash the exterior of the sweet potatoes to remove any dirt and pat them dry.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the potato.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan with the herbs to infuse the flavor, then remove the herbs from the pan.
- Baste the potatoes.
- Stabilize the Big Green Egg at 400 F, indirect.
- Place the potatoes on the grill in a baking dish, this will reduce the mess and bake until fork tender, about 1 hour, basting with the butter mix every 15 minutes.
- Once complete, cut them open and top with candied pecans and caramel.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites with the water until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and spices.
- Toss the pecans in the egg white mix until they’re coated, then pour in the dry ingredients and toss until evenly distributed.
- Smoke at 250 F indirect, stirring every 15 minutes until they’re golden brown, 45 minutes to an hour.
- Allow them to cool completely for the shell to harden and enjoy
- Place the butter and sugar in a heavy bottom sauce pot over medium high heat and allow the ingredients to boil together until it reaches a dark amber color.
- Reduce the heat and whisk in the heavy cream and continue to cook for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the bourbon and spices.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert, Side Dishes, Smoked Sweet Potatoes
- Method: Smoke Roast Bake
- Cuisine: American, Southern
Keywords: smoked sweet potatoes, dessert sweet potatoes, big green egg recipes