Boneless turkey breast is the ultimate versatile protein for stuffing, giving the option to get creative with your favorite ingredients. In this recipe, blue cheese, craisins, pecans and thyme make for a rich filling that is stuffed into the breast and then roasted on cedar planks on the grill to obtain smoke flavor. Next, the turkey is then basted in a garlic thyme compound butter to keep it moist and juicy while cooking on the grill. It is then sliced, yielding a turkey pinwheel that makes for the perfect creamy, crunchy, smoky bite, which is an excellent dish for date night or any night you want to take dinner to the next level.
Materials and Ingredients:
- 1 cedar plank
- Cooking twine
- 1 skinless turkey breast, butterflied to lay flat
- ½ cup blue cheese
- ¼ cup craisins
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- Drizzle olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 7 tbsp butter
- Presoak your cedar plank in water 30 minutes before putting it on the grill. Remove butter from the refrigerator so it can soften.
- Next, butterfly the turkey breast by cutting it lengthwise in the middle so that it can lay flat. Rub the turkey with salt and pepper.
- Combine the blue cheese, craisins, chopped pecans, fresh thyme and 1 tbsp. butter in a bowl. Add the olive oil and mix together, ensuring the blue cheese is crumbled.
- Spread the filling out on the turkey breast. Roll the breast together in a tight bundle and tie together with the cooking twine, tying in three places along the breast, and optionally a final one across both the ends to keep the stuffing from falling out (see picture).
- Combine sea salt, remaining thyme, garlic and butter with a stick blender. Microwave the butter for 30 seconds to melt it to be used for basting on the grill.
- Place the rolled breast on the cedar plank.
- Heat your grill to 400 degrees, creating a direct and indirect zone (for info on how to do this check out Grill School how to create direct and indirect zones on the grill).
- Place the cedar plank on the indirect side and let it cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees as tested with an internal read meat thermometer, this should take about 50 minutes, give or take a few minutes.
- After you put the turkey on the grill, baste with butter and continue to baste every time you check the temperature, finishing with remaining butter before taking the turkey off the grill.
- Let the meat rest under foil a few minutes and then slice into pinwheels. This dish pairs wonderfully with a simple arugula salad tossed with balsamic glaze and a glass of Pinot Noir.
This recipe was developed in partnership with The National Turkey Federation and Shady Brook Farms.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Entree, Main Course, Smoked Turkey, Grilled Turkey, Roasted Turkey
- Method: Grilled, Smoked, Cedar Planked
- Cuisine: American, BBQ
- Serving Size: 2-3
Keywords: stuffed turkey breast, stuffed boneless turkey breast, blue cheese stuffed turkey breast, smoked turkey breast recipe, cedar planked turkey breast, turkey breast on the the grill, how to smoke turkey breast