Mojo Criollo is a popular garlic-citrus marinade and dipping sauce commonly found in Cuban and Latin cooking. Original recipes call for sour orange, which has been replaced by a combo of orange and lime juice in this recipe. This dish is super economical and tasty, as chicken thighs are inexpensive and great for feeding a crowd, while Mojo Criollo marinade is universally likeable.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
For the Marinade:
- 1 cup sour orange juice OR 1/2 orange juice and ½ cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 garlic head, outer skin removed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in an immersion or stick blender and process until they are chopped and uniform in consistency.
- Marinate chicken in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill for medium high heat, about 400 degrees.
Hot Tip: Always be sure to oil your grill grates so your protein doesn’t stick. You can do this by dipping a paper towel into a bit of oil with a pair of grilling tongs, and applying the paper towel to the grates while they’re still cool.
- Grill the chicken, flipping halfway through, until it has reached 165 degrees internal temperature. This should take 10 minutes or less.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and tent it under foil for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sides.
Mojo Criollo is great on all kinds of poultry and pork and the marinade also works well as a base for slaw or a dipping sauce for plantain chips (paleo friendly). Look for “naranja agria” at Hispanic grocery stores to find Sour Orange Juice.
This Recipe was posted in collaboration with Yummly. This recipe was first produced for my book Healthy Electric Smoker and also featured in the inaugural issue of Grill Girl Magazine.
- Category: grilled chicken, Cuban Mojo Marinade, Cuban Cooking
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Cuban, Latin, Cuban American
Keywords: Cuban Mojo Marinade Recipe, Mojo Marinade, Mojo Chicken, How to Make Mojo Chicken, Grilled Mojo Chicken, Mojo Grilled Chicken