Here’s a pro tip for you! If you want to make this as authentic as possible, throw allspice berries on your fire- the allspice berry comes from the Pimento Wood tree, Pimento wood is the wood traditionally used in Jamaican Jerk cooking in Jamaica.Print
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 scallions
- 1 tbsp allspice berries (ground is okay too)
- 1 tbsp black pepper corns
- 2 tsp dried thyme (fresh is even better)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground sea salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- dash hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp chopped habanero or scotch bonnet pepper with seeds removed (if you cannot handle heat, you can omit this part, but please still add the dash of hot sauce)
- zest and juice of one large lime (don’t skip this step, the lime zest adds a lot of flavor)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor in the order they are listed and puree, gradually adding the olive oil at the end.
- Puree until the paste reaches a uniform consistency.
- Enjoy as a marinade on chicken or pork!
Did you try this recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know your thoughts! Tag me on Instagram @grillgirlrobyn – I love hearing from you!
If you liked this recipe, try these other flavorful rubs and sauces!