If you love Pineapple Upside Down Cake, just wait til you try it smoked on your pellet smoker to amp up the flavor!
Serving Size 1/8 piece of cake- 8 slices
Prep Time 20 minutes (smoking plus mixing batter)
Cook Time 25 minutes
Smoking Wood Any fruit wood
Smoker Temp 250
Rest Time 10 minutes
- 10” cast iron skillet
- 10 slices of smoked pineapple (1 pineapple cored, sliced ½” thick and smoked)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 jar maraschino cherries
- ½ cup butter – softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup smoked or regular sugar
- 2 eggs – room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk – room temp
- Get your smoker to 250 degrees, put the pineapples on and let smoke for 30-45 minutes. Remove and store in the refrigerator until ready to make this recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the melted butter into the cast iron skillet, making sure it fully coats the bottom and sides of the skillet.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange the smoked pineapple on the bottom of the pan, and if there are extras they can be arranged on the side of the pan.
- Place the cherries inside the pineapple slices (and other desired empty spaces if you like!).
- Prepare the vanilla cake- use a hand mixer to beat the butter and sugar until creamy, then add eggs, beating one at a time. Lastly, add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture and milk until combined- be sure not to overmix or it will get tough.
- Pour the batter into the cast iron skillet and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add foil to the top and continue to bake in foil for another 10-15 minutes, or until an toothpick inserted in the batter comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then invert onto a larger plate or cake platter for serving. Excellent served with Bourbon and smoked sugar whipped cream!
Make sure your cast iron pan is well seasoned and coated with butter so your cake pops out easily
The bourbon smoked sugar whipped cream pairs well with most dessert recipes!
Keywords: smoked pineapple upside down cake, traeger smoked pineapple upside down cake, smoked pineapple recipe