I’m a big fan of roasted beets. A long time ago, my grandmother once told me that beets are like “detergent for your insides”. What she meant was, they are an amazing detoxifier!
And boy I know my body could use a good detox so anytime I get a chance to eat roasted beets, drizzled in balsamic glaze and paired with creamy goat cheese to put on an an arugula salad, well, I do it!
So, when I was writing my cookbook, Healthy Electric Smoker: 100 Recipes with All Natural Ingredients and Few Carbs, I knew that I had to add beets to the recipe roster. (FYI, the recipes in my book are applicable for any smoker, including a pellet smoker!)
And how can you amplify any singular ingredient? By adding smoke of course!!
I love this dish so much I wanted everyone to be able to enjoy it even if you don’t have my cookbook, so here it is! Serve these as a side dish on the planks or put on a bed or arugula with the addition of nuts and oranges for a salad your guests won’t soon forget.
And for those beet haters- serve them beets this way and see what they think! If you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on instagram @grillgirlrobyn !
-Serving size 3-4 sliced beets
-Prep time 20 minutes
-Cook time one hour
-Smoking wood: apple, pecan
-Smoker temp 250
-Rest time: n/a
- 2 cedar wood planks, soaked in water
- 6 medium sized beets, skin removed
- Zest of one orange
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 oz goat cheese (you can use cold smoked goat cheese on page x or regular)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Boil the beets for 20-30 minutes until they are tender enough for a fork to slightly pierce the flesh.
- While the beets are boiling, soak the wood planks. Let the beets slightly cool and slice into 1/8” pieces and place on the cedar planks.
- Drizzle with olive oil and then add the orange zest, salt and pepper.
- Smoke for 1 hour or until the beet slices can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Crumble goat cheese on the beets and then drizzle with balsamic glaze. Sprinkle with fresh thyme.
Beets can be served as is on the cedar planks when serving as a side, or added to a salad.
Smoked beets can be served hot or cold and therefore can be made in advance
Beets pair excellently with duck; leftover beets can be turned into hummus, a healthier version of pizza or snuck into baked goods for extra nutritional punch!
Affiliate links have been used- they help keep this site going!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: veggies, American
- Method: boil, smoked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smoked beets, cedar planked beets