One you get a grill or smoker, one of the first things you may want to make are ribs! Here is how you can make the kind of ribs your family and neighbors will rave about for years to come!
- 1 slab St Louis Style Ribs (this will be between 3–4 lbs)
- 1 cup all purpose BBQ rub
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup all purpose BBQ sauce, plus more for serving (here is my KETO friendly, sugar free bbq sauce recipe)
Texas Crutch (foil or butcher paper method)
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 3 tbsp butter
Serving size 4-5 ribs
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 6 hours
Smoking wood: apple
Smoker temp 225 and 250
Rest time: 10 minutes
- Remove the outer membrane from the ribs- it is always easier to use a butter knife and a paper towel to help grip the membrane.
- Rub olive oil all over the slab of ribs, then slather in rub so no part is exposed without rub.
- Place ribs in smoker with the meaty side up (you may need to cut in half to fit the entire slab) and smoke for 3 hours at 225 degrees, remembering to set a timer for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, take out two large pieces of foil long enough to wrap the ribs, double them up and place the ribs on top. Add the apple juice on the bottom of the foil and the butter pats on the top of the ribs. Wrap up the foil packet tightly and place back in the foil for another 2 hours at 225. Set your timer for another 2 hours.
- Remove your ribs from the foil packet and place back on the smoker grates, meaty side up. Generously cover the meaty side of the ribs with BBQ sauce. At this point, you can crank your smoker up to 300 (you are still cooking on indirect though) degrees- you are letting the bbq sauce set on the grill. Smoke for an additional one hour- set your timer.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Ribs
- Method: St. Louis Style 3-2-1 Method