-Prep time 1 hour, plus 12 hours overnight
-Cook time 4-5 hours
-Smoking wood: Cherry
-Smoker temp 160
-Rest time: n/a
- 2 lbs eye of round or bottom round, cut into 3/4” wide strips
- 1 1/4 cup cherry juice (look for natural, not from concentrate, no sugar added)
- 3/4 cup liquid aminos or Tamari (Gluten free) or Coconut Aminos (Paleo)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/2 tbsp chipotle Powder
- 1/4 cup molasses
- ¼ cup dried cherries- for putting on the smoker with the jerky
- Combine cherry juice with remaining ingredients in a pot and let reduce over medium high heat for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a blender or food processor and puree the mix until all ingredients are liquified.
- Marinate the beef overnight for up to 12 hours.
- Place the beef strips on a frog mat, as well as the remaining cherries making sure that no strips are touching.
- Smoke the beef jerky and cherries for 4 hours at 160 degrees until the liquid has dried off the meat and the meat is dried but still pliable, about 4-5 hours.
- Remove the jerky and cherries from the smoker. Finely chop the cherries and rub onto the jerky strips for additional cherry flavor.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
For anyone with gluten intolerance, opt to use Tamari which is made with just soybeans, not wheat- look for gluten free label. Those following paleo diets should use coconut aminos since soy is not accepted in the paleo diet.
Beef jerky can go into “paleo trail mix” by combining bits of jerky, dried coconut, almonds or cashews and dried fruit. Beef jerky can also make for a fun swizzle stick in my smoked Bloody Mary!
- Category: Jerky