I prepared this cast iron pan pizza on a pellet smoker, but it works just as well on a grill or in the oven.
The key is to cook the crust without toppings until lightly browned first in order to get nice crisp edges!
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil, for the pan
- ⅓ cup marinara or pizza sauce
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 1 oz. thin sliced uncured salami or prosciutto
- 3–5 ea. fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat your pellet smoker, grill or oven to 425° F.
- In a mixing bowl combine almond, tapioca, coconut flours, flaxseed, salt and baking soda; whisk to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup stir together water, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Pour liquids into flour mixture; stir to form a wet dough. Allow to stand about 5 minutes to hydrate flours.
- Meanwhile add avocado oil to a 10-inch cast iron skillet. It will seem like a lot of oil at first but it helps with crust browning and texture.
- Transfer the dough to the skillet, use hands to pat into an even layer in the pan.
- Place skillet on the smoker; cook 12-15 minutes or until crust looks set on the top and the bottom is starting to brown.
- Top crust with sauce, cheese and salami. Return to the smoker and cook another 10-12 minutes or until cheese is hot and melted and the edges of the crust are golden brown.
- Top with fresh basil just before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: pizza recipe, healthy pizza dough, pizza crust recipe, gluten free, dairy free, grain free,