If you like Pumpkin Spice Lattes, you’re in luck because Chai Tea is the sister of Pumpkin Spice, only even better flavor, perfect for this years pumpkin pie!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 chai tea bags, cut open
- 1 (15 oz.) can pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. spiced rum
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup tapioca flour or starch
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat your pellet smoker or oven to 350° F.
- Heat cream to just boiling. Remove from heat and add contents of 4 chai tea bags. Allow to steep for about 15 minutes. Strain mixture; pressing lightly to extract flavor.
- While the cream is steeping, in a bowl combine almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles wet sand. Using a fork incorporate egg.
- Work crust mixture into a flat disc. Place on a piece of parchment paper and place a second pieces on top.
- Roll crust out to fit in a 9-inch pie plate. Remove top piece of parchment paper and use bottom piece to help transfer the crust into the pan.
- Press crust into pan and flute edges. Since this is a gluten- and grain-free crust it has a tendency to break a little more easily. If this happens simply press the crust back together – no gluten means the crust won’t get tough from overworking the dough. Refrigerate crust until filling is ready.
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin, eggs, maple syrup, spiced rum, salt and chai cream.
- Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Smoke or bake pie for 55-65 minutes or until filling is just set in the center. If crust starts to take on too much color cover edges with foil.
- Allow pie to cool for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: bake, smoke
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smoked chai tea pumpkin pie