- 12 oz tomato Passata (alternates: Hunt’s or Muir Glen organic tomato paste)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup powdered erythritol (or sweetener of choice, preferably powdered)
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hickory smoke flavoring OR 1 tsp liquid smoke (nutritional calculations based on liquid smoke)
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup water (approximate amount – see instructions)
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- Whisk all ingredients together in a saucepan, adding the water last. Start with a cup of water, then whisk in a little at a time until it reaches a consistency that is slightly thicker than barbecue sauce. I ended up using 1 cup of water, but I like thick sauce.
- Bring to a gentle boil at medium-high heat, whisking continuously, then reduce to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Taste and adjust sweetener or cayenne pepper if you prefer the sauce to be sweeter or spicier. If it’s still thicker than you like, you can stir in additional water, a tablespoon at a time, until reaching desired consistency.
- Bottle and store in the refrigerator.
This recipe will make approximately one pint of sauce, which will yield approximately 32 tbsp of sauce. One serving size is 1 tbsp, which is approximately 13 calories and 5 net carbs.
- Category: BBQ Sauce
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
Keywords: Sugar Free BBQ Sauce Recipe, Keto Friendly BBQ Sauce Recipe, Low Carb BBQ Sauce Recipe