The robust flavor from smoked chicken, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and fire-roasted tomatoes add a kick and make every bite a delight. This is a recipe you will want to make time and time again.
1 large chicken, gizzards removed for smoking
Dry rub ingredients:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup smoked paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons ground pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 diced onion
3 finely minced garlic cloves
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 finely chopped celery stalks
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 chipotle chilis, canned in adobo sauce, minced
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups of chicken broth
3 cups of water
5 fire-roasted tomatoes, puréed in blender
1 whole smoked shredded chicken
1. Whisk dry rub ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until well combined. Set aside.
2. Remove gizzard and trim excess fat. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels (including the cavity). Place chicken on a baking sheet and refrigerate uncovered for at least 20 minutes to dry while you prepare the smoker.
3. Set the grill to smoke and allow the fire to get rocking, 4 – 5 minutes. Turn the grill up to 225 degrees, and leave to preheat with the door closed for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and rub it all over with 1/4 cup of olive oil. Next, season generously with dry rub, including seasoning the cavity, and then place the chicken in a grate, breast side down. Then put it into the smoker for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until the thermometer reads 160 degrees F when inserted into the thickest part of the breast.
5. Remove chicken from smoker, shred and set aside.
TO PREPARE CHILI
Heat oil in a large dutch oven pot over medium-high heat, add first 5 ingredients, cook for 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Add remaining ingredients. Salt to taste, cover and simmer on low heat, for 30 minutes or until it thickens.
I like to have all sorts of toppings like sliced green onions,sliced jalapeños, shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro a hint of lime and a side of tortilla chips.
Serving Size:10 people
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.