How do you amp up an already stellar chicken chili recipe? By smoking the chicken first!
You can smoke the chicken on your pellet smoker, grill or electric smoker to take this chicken chili to the next level! This is the chili recipe you want to enter into your local chili contest because you'll have a leg up over the competition with smoked ingredients!! Combining smoked chicken with chipotle peppers in adobo give this recipe a smoky kick, perfectly complimented with cooling sour cream, chopped cilantro, tortillas and fresh lime.
Smoked Chicken Chili
- Total Time: 3 to 3 1/2 hours
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
- 1 large chicken, gizzards removed for smoking
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 3 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 finely chopped celery stalks
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 chipotle chilis, canned in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 3 cups of water
- 5 fire-roasted tomatoes, puréed in blender
- 1 whole smoked shredded chicken
TO PREPARE CHILI
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven pot over medium-high heat
- Add first 5 ingredients, cook for 7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Salt to taste, cover and simmer on low heat, for 30 minutes or until it thickens.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
- Serving Size: 10 people
Did you enjoy this recipe for smoked chicken chili?
Check out our other winning chili recipes!:
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Thank you so much for this recipe. I’m typing this with chicken juice still on my fingers. This recipe turned out fantastic!
Mmmmm, looks tasty!
The instructions past cooking the chicken are missing. Where would I find those? Thanks
Hi Elizabeth- sooo sorry! The recipe has been updated- not sure what happened but you should good to go now!
SO happy you liked!!!