- Freshly grated pepper
- Freshly grate sea salt (I prefer Bourbon Barrel Foods Smoked Salt and Pepper– that is all I use on my steaks!)
- Dash smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
Blue Cheese Basil Butter:
- 4 oz blue cheese
- 1 stick softened butter
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp basil
Combine all in an immersion blender. Reserve for serving with the slice Tri Tip.
- Prepare your BGE or Kamado Style smoker for 350 degrees on indirect heat using the place setter. While the grill is heating up, go ahead and prepare your Tri Tip by rubbing it with olive oil and adding the salt and pepper.
- Let the Tri Tip roast on the BGE on indirect for 20 minutes or until the internal temp reaches about 120 degrees.
- Now, get your temp up high to about 500-600 degrees for a nice sear. Then sear the Tri Tip on each side for 2 minutes, or until the internal temp reaches 130 for medium rare. Be mindful that the skinniest part of the triptip will cook faster than the thicker part of the meat, and also remember that this is a roast so it is best cooked to a medium rare, not well done. To make sure your steak is perfect – I recommend using a thermapen to check internal temperatures.
- Let rest for 10 minutes under foil, then slice, and enjoy Tri Tip ecstasy!