- ½ lb shishito peppers (padron peppers would work too!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (use a high quality olive oil, I am currently in love with California Olive Ranch)
- sea salt- French grey or Himalayan are my favorite! An infused sea salt such as my citrus finishing salt would also be a hit! FYI, Jacobsen, out of Portland, are producing excellent sea salt!
- Skewers (loving these new paddle style skewers I found on Amazon)
- Soak your skewers in water for 30 minutes before getting ready to cook.
- Take two skewers and skewer the peppers on each end, so that you have the pepper skewered among two skewers- this makes it easier for flipping the peppers and also ensures they are cooked evenly on each side (ie, no slipping like they would do one one skewer!). Next, drizzle the peppers with a little olive oil.
- Prepare your grill for medium direct heat. Next, coat your grill grates with oil (canola, vegetable) so your peppers do not stick.
- Grill for a few minutes each side, or until each side has begun to blister and form char marks.
- Pull off the grill, and add a little more olive oil. Sprinkle with your favorite sea salt- I’m a big fan of Fleur De Sel.
To learn more about Sea Salt, check out my deep dive into the world of sea salt entitled “Salt 101”.
These peppers are great as an appetizer or as a side. I could literally eat an entire plate full of these!