- 3 Apples- sliced thinly with a mandolin slicer on the thinnest setting. Trust me, you need to use the mandolin or a food processer with a thin slice setting- the thinness of the apples and fennel makes all the difference in this recipe!
- 2 Fennel bulbs, plus a few sprigs of the leaves
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1.5 tbsp sugar – to taste
- fresh groun black pepper – to taste
- sea salt- just a dash
- First, zest and juice the lemon and then add the sugar and combine. Next, thinly slice the apples with the mandolin on the thinnest slice and add to the lemon juice mixture. It is important to first do the lemon juice to put the apples into so the apples do not turn brown.
Next, on #2 or #3 thickness (medium to large) on the mandolin, slice your bulbs of fennel working up to the base of the stalk. Trim a tbsp worth of leaves into the mixture (this is more for looks).
Combine the apples, fennel, juice and salt and pepper in a large bowl and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. If you don’t let it sit it will still be good but 30 minutes in the lemon juice mixture really brings all the flavors together. Once you’ve tried this recipe, this could be your new “go to” slaw recipe! If you give this a try, let me know what you think and what you paired it with!