I love chicken wings! When people ask me what my favorite thing to grill is, I always reply “chicken wings.”
I feel that wings are the perfect vehicle for so many different flavor pairings! What is extra special about this Chile Lemongrass Basil marinade recipe is that everything but the coconut milk base came from my garden!
How cool is it that?
It is amazing that we have an herb and chili garden and I haven’t killed everything yet, but I must attribute that to Scott’s green thumb. I would say my thumb is really more the shade of brown.
We planted the herb garden right before I had Hunter, and it’s amazing we’ve kept up with it. The lemongrass, chili peppers and lemon basil came from my backyard which means they are organic. No chemicals!
These wings were served over Labor Day in conjunction with the ribs my dad made me for my birthday.
We paired that with Dad’s corn pudding, homemade baked beans, and my friend Nicole’s sweet potato salad. Scott then knocked it out of the park with homemade chipotle chocolate, candied bacon cupcakes (with cream cheese frosting) — DAYUM!
Mom even made me a homemade key lime pie! It was quite the feast, if I keep eating like that I will NEVER lose this baby weight. But it was worth it!
Oh, AND Nichole’s husband Nick, the wine connoisseur, also brought over a bottle of French Champagne for my bday.
It was a pretty awesome feast!
Try making this Chile Lemongrass Basil Wings recipe and let me know what you think! email@example.comPrint
These wings are fragrant with a little spice. They are a delight for the senses with a coconut milk base, and flavors of lemongrass, chilis, and lemon basil.
You will love these wings! Scott said these were the best I’ve made in a while.
- 2 lbs chicken drummettes
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 large chile peppers
- 1 large bunch lemongrass stalks (bottom part)
- 1 large bunch of lemon basil (regular basil can be substituted)
- sea salt, fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Chop up the lemongrass stalk (outer stalk removed so you are cutting the fragrant part of the stalk) before putting it into the food processor.
- Next, roughly chop the chilis and remove the stem. Remove the stem from the basil.
- Pour the 2 cans of coconut milk into the food processor. Add the lemongrass, basil, and chile peppers.
- Pulse the ingredients until everything is minced together well. You will want the lemongrass to be totally shredded at this point.
- Reserve 1.5 cups of the marinade and set aside. Marinate the chicken in the remaining marinade as long as possible until the time you plan to grill them. (I like to put these in the marinade in the morning and let them marinate until dinner time).
- Prepare a grill for medium direct heat: about 350 degrees.
- Grill the wings with direct heat until the internal temp is 170 degrees as read by an internal-read instant thermometer.
- Let rest for 5 minutes or so under foil.
- Drizzle the wings with reserved marinade before serving and season with salt and pepper.
- Baste the chicken with additional marinade while grilling to keep them extra moist.
- If the chicken starts cooking too quickly and begins to burn, put the wings on the outer edges of the grill so they are farther away from the heat.
- Serve with additional marinade as a dipping sauce.
- Category: Chicken Wings
- Method: Grilled
Keywords: chili peppers, lemongrass wings, lemon basil, grilled chicken wings recipe, coconut milk marinade
Try this other chicken wings recipe or browse my recipes for more cooking ideas!