- 3 lbs tomatoes, small to medium sized. I used a mixture of san marzano and Campari tomatoes. The smaller tomatoes will get more exposure to the grill
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 small bag of mini bell peppers (8 oz.)
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water (or more)
- dash olive oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt (I used bourbon barrel smoked sea salt)
- 1 tbsp black pepper (I used bourbon barrel smoked pepper)
- 1 tsp sugar (to cut the acidity)
- 1 large bunch basil
- Preheat your charcoal grill for medium direct heat – about 350 degrees. (You can use gas but you will not get as much smokiness so use charcoal if you can).
- Prepare your veggies to go on the grill: wash everything and slice the cucumbers into thin lengthwise pieces, put the garlic cloves onto skewers so they can go on the grill.
- Grill the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, garlic, and poblano pepper until nice char marks form on all sides.
- Remove the veggies and place in a big pot. Add your water.
- With an immersion blender, mix everything together until uniform in consistency
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste
- Add more water if you want a thinner consistency
- Add the basil at the end with one last blend with the immersion blender
- Chill at least 3 hours before serving so the flavors have time to meld together
- Garnish with diced avocado and fresh basil