- 3 lbs tomatoes, small to medium sized. I used a mixture of San Marzano and Campari tomatoes. The smaller tomatoes will get more exposure to the grill.
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 small bag of mini bell peppers (8 oz.)
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water (or more)
- Dash of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. sea salt (I used bourbon barrel smoked sea salt)
- 1 tbsp. black pepper (I used bourbon barrel smoked pepper)
- 1 tsp. sugar (to cut the acidity)
- 1 large bunch basil
- Preheat your charcoal grill for medium direct heat, about 350 degrees. (You can use gas, but you will not get as much smokiness, so use charcoal if you can)
- Prepare your veggies to go on the grill: wash everything, slice the cucumbers into thin, lengthwise pieces, and put the garlic cloves onto skewers so they can go on the grill.
- Grill the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, garlic and poblanos pepper until nice char marks form on all sides.
- Remove the veggies and place in a big pot. Add your water.
- With an immersion blender, mix everything together until uniform in consistency.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more water if you want a thinner consistency.
- Add the basil at the end with one last blend with the immersion blender.
- Chill at least three hours before serving so the flavors have time to meld together.
- Garnish with diced avocado and fresh basil.