- 2 lbs (2 containers) of Campari tomatoes, or medium vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 poblano pepper
- ½ large onion, sliced into thick rings for the grill
- 1 bulb garlic, put cloves onto skewer for grilling
- 1 large bunch fresh basil or oregano to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar (to cut the acidity)
- ¼ cup water (optional)
- sea salt, fresh ground pepper to taste
Set up a grill for medium high direct heat (375-400 degrees). Grill all ingredients until nice char marks have begun to form. Put garlic cloves onto a skewer and grill them until they begin to brown. Once all the ingredients have begun to char and caramelize on the grill, remove and place in a pot.
In a large bowl, blend all the grilled ingredients and fresh herbs with a stick blender. Add water, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
Trust me, once you’ve had this marinara, you will be spoiled forever!
If you like tomatoes on the grill, try my grilled blue cheese and herb stuffed tomatoes.