Bring out your inner sandwich artist!
When we go out on the boat for a race, I like to surprise the crew with gourmet sandwiches. Sure, I could just run to subway or pick up sandwiches at Publix like most people do, but how boring is that? Plus, it is usually a lot less expensive to make your own sandwiches by picking up a loaf of french bread and working some sandwich artistry. I made a quick rosemary thyme mayo to further complement the flavors of turkey, brie and cranberry in this sandwich. These sailors were not disappointed!Print
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 lb thinly sliced turkey meat (I try to look for nitrate, preservative free sandwich meat)
- ½ cup mayo (I like the olive oil mayo)
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary (if using dried, use less)
- 1 small can of cranberry sauce
- 1 5 oz. container alouette speadable brie
- 1 bunch arugula
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Slice ends off baquette and then slice lengthwise. I like to remove some of the bread on the inside of the baquette to form a “pocket” so the fillings stay in better, it also makes the sandwich less “bready”.
- Combine the rosemary and mayo and spread generously on both pieces of bread.
- Next, spread the brie on the bottom piece of bread.
- Add the turkey, and then add generous tablespoon fulls of cranberry on the turkey.
- Add freshly ground pepper over the toppings. Next, layer with arugula.
- Put the top baguette on the sandwich and compress down to help combine the flavors.
- Slice into 2” serving sizes and then put into a Tupperware container layered tightly so the sandwiches cannot come apart.
NOTE: When putting a Tupperware container full of sandwiches in a cooler, I always wrap it in a plastic bag tied tightly to ensure no melted cooler ice can get into the cooler and make soggy sandwiches!
When we got to dock, I set out a nice cheese tray as we cleaned the boat and had a few beers. Craft beers are all the rage these days, and the crew was mighty impressed with the Goose Island (ie, Chicago’s Craft Beer) Urban Wheat and Urban Pale Ale.
These sandwiches were a huge hit with all those hungry sailors -What’s your favorite sandwich combo for outdoor gatherings?
Did you enjoy this turkey sandwich with brie and cranberry? Check out this Brick Grilled Cuban!