- (2) Maple Grill Planks – soak for 30 minutes before use
- 4 chicken thighs
- 3 zest of 2 oranges
- 1 large bunch of oregano, leaves removed from stems
- 2 heaping teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (I used smoked pepper)
- 2 heaping teaspoons sea salt (I used smoked sea salt)
- 2 heaping teaspoons smoked paprika (if you don’t have smoked paprika you can use regular paprika but Smoked paprika makes a huge difference)
- 1. 5 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat your grill to 350 degrees and create a direct and indirect cooking zone. Make sure to soak your grilling planks for at least 30 minutes before using them. Next, rinse your chicken and then pat it dry.
Combine the olive oil, sea salt, pepper and smoked paprika in a small bowl to form a seasoning paste. Next, slide your finger under the chicken skin (I know this is not fun but it will seal in all the spices and extra moisture!)
Next, coat the chicken under and over the skin, working the paste onto all 4 pieces of chicken. Place 2 thighs on each maple grilling plank (if you can’t find maple, I think cherry, hickory or other woods would work too). Place the planks on indirect heat of a medium/hot grill and let cook for 25-30 minutes or until an interal read thermometer (like the ThermaPen, my favorite) reads 170 degrees ( a few degrees under is okay). Let rest under foil for 10 minutes, and serve with your favorite side.
I served mine with garlic kale and it was delish! What are you planking these days, let me know!