- 2 lb shrimp
- 2 large bell peppers (Green, orange, red—the more colorful the better. You can also use the mini peppers; lots of fun colors to work with)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- Juice of one lime, plus zest
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp. mayo (or more to taste)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Alder wood chips
- Prepare grill or smoker to 250 degrees. If using a grill, you will need to smoke on indirect heat (not directly on top of heat source). Add alder wood chips or chunks and let it begin to smoke.
- Place shrimp on a broiler pan sheet so that the smoke can penetrate the shrimp. Smoke for 20 minutes or until shrimp have begun to turn pink. Watch this carefully so as not to overcook!
- Remove shrimp and let cool. Meanwhile, chop and combine the remaining ingredients.
- Chop the shrimp in small pieces and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Let chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
Pro tip: I bought shrimp without tails and deveined. It’s more expensive, but a major time saver!