I spent yesterday afternoon kayaking (not a bad thing to do mid-week) and the last thing I wanted was a heavy meal or something that took too long to prep. What I really craved is something that I’ve loved for years — fish tacos!
The kind of fish tacos I love are the ones served up in great food trucks. No fancy sauces no pretense just great fish and fresh flavors.
For me, mahi mahi is one of the best fish to make a taco out of — it’s flaky and light. If you’re not a fan you can substitute with your favorite fish; swordfish works nicely too.
Grilled mahi mahi, a flaky white fish, is perfect for making fish tacos and much healthier than their fried fish taco cousin. The flavors of flakly grilled white fish, cabbage slaw and mexican crema make for the perfect summer taco!
- 2 lbs fresh Mahi fillets (de-boned)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Sea salt + freshly cracked pepper
- 3 limes
- 1 plum tomato
- Half a head of red cabbage
- 2 cups of cilantro
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup Mexican crumbling cheese
- 1 cup Crema Mexicana
- 10 flour tortillas (or corn if you prefer)
- Sprinkle salt + pepper to your Mahi fillets.
- In a bowl, add your olive oil, the zest of one lime and the juice of that lime and 2 cloves minced garlic.
- Make sure your grill is very hot.
- Brush one side of your mahi fillet with the olive oil and add to the grill (you will be grilling on direct heat). Before turning, make sure to brush the other side with olive oil so it doesn't stick. Don't turn too often — the fillets only need about 3 to 5 minutes on each side until the internal temp reads 145 degrees with an internal read thermometer such as a Thermapen.
- Once your fish is cooked, break it up with a fork. You don't want to mash it, but you want nice sized flakes.
- For the cabbage slaw, slice your red cabbage into thin strips, add your diced tomato and cilantro, and season with salt and pepper and the juice of one lime.
- Heat your tortillas on the grill just a few seconds on each side. Add a nice amount of fish, then your slaw.
- Drizzle some Crema Mexicana and the Mexican crumbling cheese.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, a lime wedge and a slice of avocado.
**Affiliate links has been used.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: American, fresh mex, mexican inspired
- Cuisine: American, Freshmex
Keywords: grilled fish tacos, baha fish tacos, grilled mahi tacos, grilled white fish tacos
If you liked this recipe for Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos, check out these similar recipes below!