I really love Sriracha on anything, so I was excited to use it as a glaze on these chicken wings mixed with BBQ sauce.
I’ve been playing on my new Pit Barrel Cooker with tasty results. My first cook I did ribs, and my second cook I chose to cook Sriracha BBQ Chicken Wings on the Pit Barrel.
For those of you who didn’t see my post about the Pit Barrel Cooker, here’s the skinny: the Pit Barrel Cooker is a commercially available grill made from a barrel (some refer to these as UDS, or “Ugly Drum Smoker”). It is loved for its ease of use that yields flavorful results.
Some differences with the Pit Barrel and other cookers: you can “hang” meat from the top, you also have a grate for grilling. The Pit Barrel itself seems to produce a flavor profile that is unique to the cooker (perhaps this is a mixture of the materials, where the meat is placed, the charcoal at the bottom?).
Anyway, for my second cook I took Noah Glanville’s (owner of Pit Barrel Cooker) cue from his video and followed his directions for wings, down to the recipe he used.
I started by dusting the wings with the Pit Barrel Cooker All Purpose rub, then finished them with a BBQ/Sriracha sauce glaze while on the cooker.
Let me know how you like it! firstname.lastname@example.org
This Sriracha BBQ Chickens Wings recipe came from Noah Glanville, owner of Pit Barrel Cooker. While grilling chicken wings or drummettes, a BBQ Sauce/Sriracha glaze is applied, for tasty results and an amazing color.
- 20 Chicken Drummettes (or “wings” if you prefer, I’m a “drummette” person)
- Pit Barrel Cooker All Purpose Pit Rub OR a BBQ rub that doesn’t have sugar
- 1/2 cup (or more) of BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- Rinse the chicken wings and pat dry. Generously sprinkle the wings with BBQ rub.
- Next, combine the BBQ sauce and Sriracha hot sauce to form a glaze.
- Prepare the Pit Barrel smoker for grilling (this includes lighting the charcoal and letting it heat up for about 20-25 minutes).
- Put the wings on the grill and let them cook with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Flip the wings, and coat with the glaze and let them continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until the internal temp (I recommend using the instant read Thermapen) reads 170 degrees.
- Tent the wings for 10 minutes under foil before serving.
In the original Pit Barrel Cooker video they suggested cooking these wings for 45 minutes. I found that 30 minutes was plenty of time to cook these wings to the proper internal temp. A lot of this will depend on your altitude/where you live, how hot the coals are, etc which is why using a meat thermometer is so important!
- Category: Chicken Wings
- Method: Grilled
Keywords: Sriracha BBQ Wings, Chicken Drummettes, Spicy BBQ sauce, Pit Barrel Cooker recipe, charcoal chicken wings, wings glaze
For those of you who don’t have a Pit Barrel Cooker, I believe this recipe would be equally great on any other type of grill!
Learn more about Pit Barrel Cooker Co. online at pitbarrelcooker.com, where you can purchase the 18.5 inch Classic Pit Barrel Cooker, accessories, and Pit Rubs.
After you try this chicken wings recipe, here’s another Pit Barrel Cooker recipe from my archives for you to taste test!