- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 tri-color mini peppers
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp smoked sea salt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp chipotle powder (you can also substitute 1/2 chili pepper in adobo, chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp smoked brown sugar
- dash cinnamon
- dash allspice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste (or half small can)
- ½ bottle craft beer
- 1 can (low sodium) chicken or beef broth
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans- rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans – rinsed and drained
- Grill your poblano, tri color and jalapeno peppers on medium direct heat until nice char marks develop on both sides.
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven on the stove on medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the beer, Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth and the tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Now that the peppers have cooled, chop them up and add to the chili.
- Add beans and continue to simmer for another hour or until the chili has thickened.
If you like a soupier chili, add the whole bottle of beer instead of just half.