I love huevos rancheros. Getting the perfect spicy bite of runny eggs, beans, avocado, sour cream and tortillas is the culmination of a breakfast made in heaven. This huevos rancheros on the grill recipe adds a delicious smokiness to the classic Mexican dish.
A few Christmas mornings ago, I wanted to make an outdoor poolside brunch and we made huevos rancheros, start to finish on the grill. I created a direct and indirect cooking zone on the grill and using cast iron cookware, I fried the eggs and heated the beans on the direct side of the grill.
I toasted the tortillas on the indirect side, and threw all the ingredients together. Make yourself a Bloody Mary and head out to your backyard to set up your grill! Here’s the play by play so you can impress your friends with an outdoor brunch made entirely on the grill.
You will need a frying pan and a small pot that are grill friendly. Be careful to use oven mitts and don’t try to remove the pots/cast iron cookware until the grill and pot/pan have cooled.
- One packet of wheat tortillas (if corn is your preference then go for it!)
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- one small onion, sliced into rings
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups high quality or homemade salsa
- 2 ripe Haas Avocados, chopped
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- one lime, use the juice to squirt on the avocado so they don’t turn brown
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat your grill to medium heat and create direct and indirect cooking zones. Make sure that you control the heat on your grill so the pans don’t get too-hot.
- Drizzle olive oil in the cast iron pan and crack your eggs and let them cook until over easy. Place a pot with the beans and the added chopped garlic and place them on direct heat.
- Meanwhile, on the indirect heat side, toast the tortillas until they get char marks on both sides and become toasted.
- Grill the onions on direct where space is available until char marks form. Once done, chop them for serving.
- Layer 2 tortillas with eggs and beans on a plate. Top with a generous amount of cheese, grilled onions, salsa, sour cream, chopped avocado and cilantro. Serve with your favorite hot sauce or chopped jalapenos.
The customization possibilities are endless with ingredients like chipotle peppers in adobo, fresh peppers, tomatoes- get creative with fresh and local ingredients!
Keywords: huevos rancheros, huevos racheros on the grill, grilled huevos rancheros
Check out these other breakfast recipes!