I’m always looking for a low-carb way to do my favorite dishes. With these pizzas, you get all the cheesy and sausage goodness without all the extra calories and bread from pizza.
They’re a great vehicle for whatever toppings you prefer- I used a mixture of cheese, chicken sausage, spinach and sun dried tomatoes.
Paired with a salad, these are filling as a main course but they are also a great appetizer served on their own or cut into smaller portions. These only need a few minutes on the grill and this recipe can easily be made in the oven as well.
The grill needs to be preheated to medium. As you wait for it to warm up, take the time to prepare the pizzas.
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms caps, stems removed
- 8 oz cheese- mozzarella, provolone or your favorite Italian cheese
- 1 12 oz package chicken sausage (like Aidells or Al Fresco Natural)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped sundried tomatoes (optional)
- 1/4 cup spinach leaves (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil torn into small pieces
- While waiting for grill to heat to medium, rinse and dry the Portobello caps.
- Layer 2 tbsp of marinara sauce on each mushroom, with the bottom facing up.
- Add two slices cheese to each cap. Once the grill is heated up, grill sausage until charmarks form on both sides. Meanwhile, put the mushrooms on a large double layer piece of foil.
- Place the mushroom pizzas/foil on the grill and heat until the cheese is fully melted and sauce begins to bubble (about 6-8 minutes).
- Remove the mushrooms and sausage. Slice the sausage and layer on top of the pizzas.
- Sprinkle the chopped sun dried tomatoes, spinach and basil on the pizzas.
- Pair with an arugula salad for a perfect light personal pizza!
Other pizza recipes you might like: