These chicken wings incorporate the citrus zing of Szechuan peppercorns and a ponzu sauce marinade. The wings are grilled and then slathered in a sweet and spicy Thai peanut sauce for multi-dimensional flavor. If you are short on time, the thai peanut sauce is totally optional, but it is highly addictive to slather on just about everything!
This recipe is so good it will make you want to slap your momma! (*I would never of course “slap my momma” but the expression is fitting here because it is that good!)
I’ve found the absolute BEST thai peanut sauce recipe in the world on the She Simmers blog, a blog all about Thai cooking. This recipe is easy-peasy and needs no modification. I did, however, add the juice of one lime and lime zest to the peanut sauce because everything is better with a little lime and it compliments the citrus undertones of the Szechuan in this recipe.
- 20 chicken wings (about 1.5 to 2 pounds, depending on how large the wings are)
- 2 tablespoons ground szechuan peppercorns (I used my coffee grinder to grind them up)
- 1/2 bottle ponzu sauce (a little more than 1 cup)
- 1 batch of She Simmer’s Thai Peanut Sauce. You can use your own favorite Thai Peanut Sauce recipe, but I find hers to be the best!
- Marinate the chicken wings in 1/2 bottle of ponzu sauce for at least 30 minutes.
- While marinating, make the Thai peanut sauce.
- In the meantime, preheat a grill to medium high heat. Oil the grill grates so the wings will not stick.
- Remove the wings from the marinade and sprinkle with 3/4 of the Szechuan pepper, coating all sides.
- The Thai Peanut Sauce will make a large batch. Pour approximately 1.5 cups into a bowl to take to the grill for brushing on the wings while grilling.
- Grill the wings, brushing with generous amounts of sauce. Grill until the internal temp of the wings have reached 170 degrees.
- Tent the wings under foil for 10 minutes.
- Cover the wings with the remaining Szechuan pepper before serving.
- Serve with extra peanut sauce for dipping!
- Affiliate links have been used, if you purchase anything this site will make a small commission.
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: szechuan sauce, szechuan pepper, chicken wing recipe, peanut sauce,