If you love hot wings with a kiss of sweetness, then you'll want to taste these smoked chicken wings.
This is a tasty sweet-and-spicy take on chicken wings from GrillGirl.com reader and competition BBQer, Neil Buchwalter.
After slow-smoking the chicken, the wings are coated in a rich sauce made from mixing your favorite hot sauce with French dressing and a bit of honey.
Give this chicken wings recipe a try and let me know what you think! Get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spicy Honey Kissed Chicken Wings
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
These smoked chicken wings are hot with a kiss of sweetness. After rubbing the wings with a spicy rub, they go in the smoker, before getting covered in a creamy honey hot sauce.
- 1 ½ to 2 dozen chicken wings
- ½ cup hot sauce
- ½ cup French dressing
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- About 3 hours before serving remove wings from the refrigerator and separate into 3 parts by cutting at the joints. Discard the wing tips.
- Place wing pieces into a large bowl and top with rub ingredients or approximately ½ cup of your favorite spicy chicken rub. (Use more or less to taste.) Mix the chicken and the rub until all wings are evenly coated. Let wings come to room temperature, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat smoker to 230°F.
- Place wings on smoker. For best results, turn wings after 45 minutes and again after 45 minutes.
- While wings are smoking: Combine hot sauce, French dressing, honey, pepper flakes, cayenne and black pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer on the stove, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- Remove wings from smoker when cooked (internal temperature reads at least 165°F – about 2 hours or about 2 ½ hours if you prefer well-done wings).
- Toss wings with sauce mixture and serve with blue cheese dressing.
- You can use your favorite hot sauce with this recipe, but make sure to also try making it with Cholula Chili Garlic.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Chicken Wings
- Method: Smoked
Keywords: Honey Hot Wings, Honey Hot Sauce, Smoked Hot Wings, Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings
About the Recipe Writer
Neil Buchwalter started as a backyard smoker who upgraded from indirect cooking on a propane grill, to an ECB (“el Cheapo Brinkmann”), to a Green Mountain Grills (GMG) pellet smoker.
The cook enjoys trying out new recipes and experimenting with smoked food that falls outside the standard four competition categories, including crab-stuffed shrimp, deviled eggs, salmon, jalapeño poppers, Yorkshire pudding, veggies (potatoes and corn mostly), pork (shoulder, butt, roasts and chops), Moink balls, turkey (whole and breasts), chicken (whole, thighs and wings), beef (roast, ribs, steaks and hamburger), pizza and even “Pig Candy”.
Neil is becoming very serious about competition barbecue and trying to attend as many events as possible and, work permitting, his goal is to begin competing, perhaps next year or the year after. He is even friendly with many of the local (FBA) and national teams, and has received lots of competitive insight and encouragement, pushing him to complete the FBA judge’s seminar and judging his first competition and becoming a certified FBA judge.
It looks like we'll be seeing Neil Buchwalter on the BBQ Competition circuit one of these days! Good Luck Neil!
Do you have a recipe idea you'd like to share with GrillGirl.com? Email email@example.com with your idea!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
These look amazing, I can’t wait to give them a try! Thanks for sharing.
You know I’m a wing ho. I’ll have to try Neil’s process, I usually do mine at a higher temp.
Those are some good looking wings!