- 2 tblsp olive oil
- large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- 5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 5–6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground sirloin or a higher end meat. (I just feel that the chili is better with a leaner higher grade beef but this can be up to you)
- 2 to 3 tblsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 to 3 tsp ground cumin
- t tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 12 oz. bottle Guinness or another dark beer
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes (try hunt’s or rotel)
- 2 tblsp tomato paste
- 2 (14. 0z) chicken or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 15 oz. black beans
- Garnished: Fritos (as stated above) pepper jack cheese and sour cream
- Heat oil in a big sauce pan or a dutch oven over medium heat; add onion.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook the onion 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper and cook 5 minutes.
- Add chipotle peppers and garlic, cook one minute.
- Add beef and next 5 ingredients. Stir in beer and simmer about 2 minutes. S
- tir in Worcestershire sauce and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to medium to medium low.
- Simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes.
- Add beans, stir, and continue to simmer until liquid has reduced slightly and the chili has become thicker. (After adding beans, I usually simmer another 30-45 minutes).
You will have seconds, possibly thirds.