- 2 lbs Ground beef (80/20, please)
- 4 large Yellow sweet onions, chopped to 1/2″
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 16 slices American process cheese
- 8 Hamburger buns
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp Black pepper, ground fresh
- Form the meat into eight equal-sized balls (1/4 lb each).
- Flatten each ball of meat between wax paper to about 1/4″ thick and about 5″ in diameter.
- Stack the wrapped burgers in a gallon zip-top bag and freeze until you’re ready to grill.
- Heat a large heavy pan over medium-high heat, then add the oil.
- Add the onions, and half of the salt and pepper, then saute until the onions are translucent and just starting to brown, about 15 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, start your grill and prepare for direct grilling at medium-high heat (350-375º).
- Add the Worcestershire to the pan, stir well, and cook another minute.
- Cover the pan, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Season one side of the burgers with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Grill each burger for about two minutes per side then top each with a slice of cheese, 1/4 cup of onions, another slice of cheese, and another 1/4 cup of onions.
- Move the burgers to one side of the grill and quickly toast the buns on the other side.
- Gently slide each burger onto a bun and serve with your side of choice. I served mine with slabs of grilled zucchini.”