With football season in full swing, it’s time to kick off my Tailgating 2.0 Series and feature football certified recipes of my own, as well as recipes from my fellow grill enthusiasts. This new series is sure to turn heads at your next tailgate and even make you a couple of new hungry friends.
Today I’m featuring delicious Bristol Bash ’em Paninis, courtesy of Chris Grove from Nibble Me This. What’s great about this panini is that it’s an easy and tasty tailgating idea that will be the star of any tailgate.
- 1 10″ loaf of french bread
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 to 2 TBSP of BBQ Rub (I used Albukirky Rub tonight)
- 3 slices bacon, cooked
- 3 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 sweet onion (vidalia, Texas sweets, etc) sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 4 slices pickles
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 oz Apple Pie Moonshine
- 1 brick wrapped in foil
- Set up your grillfor medium high heat. Place the foil wrapped brick on the grill and allow it and the grate to preheat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk together the Apple Pie Moonshine and the barbecue sauce. The apple and cinnamon seem to enrich the flavors of the barbecue sauce while the “shine” gives it a twang or kick. TIP: For tailgating, do this at home and toss it in a cheap squirt bottle.
- Grill the onion slices for a few minutes per side until tender.
- Grill the pickle slices for about 2 minutes per side. Yes….grill your pickles. No, I’m serious.
Assemble your sandwich as follows: chicken, bbq rub, bacon, Hi-octane bbq sauce, cheese, onions, pickles, second round of Hi-octane bbq sauce
- Cut the sandwich in half. Place on the grill and top with the brick. Grill for 45 seconds or long enough to toast the bottom.
- Flip, top with the brick and grill another 45 seconds.
Pair with a side and enjoy! Be sure to check out Chris’ site, NibbleMeThis for more mouthwatering recipes!